Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Competition Day 1


I have to say, I don't recall being this exhausted in a long, long time.

I spent the day volunteering at our competition, the 6th Annual Tucson Invitational. I was in charge of the score & music runners and spent a good chunk of time running scores and/or music myself along with a bevy of volunteers.

It was a great time, though. After mid-day I got to see more of the competition -- the morning was a blur. In the afternoon and evening my day was brightened by a number of events -- Katlynn McNab got 1st in her spins event and also in the Juvenile Freeskate. My buddies Mariah, Sarah and Kathryn took 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively in their Freeskate 4 event. And perhaps sweetest of all, my friend Nicole took 1st in Adult Bronze! This was her first competition ever and I was SO proud of her. She did great!

I also observed that sometimes the best skating isn't the winning skaters, but the perseverance of finishing a program when you haven't skated well. In some ways that is more admirable than a winning skate.

Now I need to rest (a bubble bath sounds amazing right now!) and be at the rink early for Day 2!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home