Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Perseverance


I attended the adult session today. As usual for Tuesdays, it was very uncrowded (5 people tops) and nice ice.

"Highlights" for today:

  • spirals -- I don't know what my problem was yesterday. I managed several nice ones today, with (as far as I can tell) a straight free leg from the get-go. I'm still not at all happy with the RF ones though.
  • 3-turns -- spent a lot of time on these. My FO3s are really improving. I'm holding my exit better on them, but I still have a greater curve on the BI edge; I take that to be an indication that I'm dropping my free side. Got some improvement but not a lot. Worked the FI3s a bit (yes, even the dreaded LFI3). Of course the irony that occurred to me is that my LFI edge is much nicer than my RFI edge. Oh well. On the LFI3 (and a little on the RFI3, I think), I've realized (well, I think Anna pointed this out before) that I'm waaaaay overchecking this and that's a big part of my problem. Unfortunately there's little improvement as of yet. It would be really annoying for me to be held up testing by this...
  • spin prep -- I worked the back crossovers to step-forward part of the spin prep. I was only able to do the actual step-forward once though, and only after I slowed it waaaaaay down and made myself look over my hand. For the most part though I get into the rotated position with the free foot under, and then I either can't make myself turn and put the foot down in the appropriate direction, or my free foot has drifted out to the side already. It's frustrating.
  • back crossovers -- I worked the MITF pattern for these. It seems to be fine except that I can't convince myself to do the step-forward at the end for the "presentation," at least, not at that speed. I guess that's a comfort thing, I'll keep working on it. The initial LFI Mohawk went well though, so that's something.
  • back edges -- not much to say other than that I spent some quality time on them.
  • miscellaneous -- I did a few spins, a fair amount of stroking, some lunges and some forward crossovers. Didn't work the perimeter crossovers though.

Tonight is our first practice for the holiday show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home