Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Ice Snob


I attended the public session tonight, but only skated for about an hour since I attended the TFSC board meeting to talk about the proposed TFSC website.

I got precious little accomplished tonight, partly from being in a mood, partly from the interruption for the meeting in the middle of the session, and partly from the hordes of elementary school kids filling the session. I did a few 3-turns, some basic stroking and crossovers and a couple of spins.

I've decided I'm turning into an ice snob. I knew it would probably happen eventually, but I didn't expect it quite so quickly. By "ice snob" I mean mostly that public sessions are almost useless to me anymore. It's hard to even practice stroking since I need to go faster than the general crowd, and I'm not sufficiently competent or brave to try putting my end crossovers in amidst the hordes of slow skaters darting to and fro. So I'm mostly left with working on spins and turns. I can't even really work my edge patterns since (per Anna) I need to get used to doing the whole line's worth (4-6) in a row, and not the two I can usually do before I put myself into traffic. Bleah! I may have to consider trying to make it to coffee club on Wednesdays (as well as Tuesdays and Fridays) just to get more time in. Here's praying they don't entirely cancel Sunday freestyle times...

I was very amused by Dimitri, Jenny and Briana tonight (Hola!), they were hanging out in a "gang". A rather wholesome gang, to be sure, but still... with a little more slouching, and some matching jackets, they'd have something. Briana would have to look a little meaner though, and that could be difficult :-). Just teasing B!

Alas, due to a schedule change at work I had to postpone tomorrow's lesson to Tuesday. It appears that having Tuesday as a backup lesson day is a very valuable thing! I am off work on Friday, spending the day in Phoenix. Among other things, I'm going to get to watch Katlynn McNab's practice -- very cool! And later I'll visit some family and friends. Of course I'll take time to skate at coffee club at the Chandler rink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home