Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, April 12, 2004

Perseverance


I got out of rehearsal early, so I headed to catch the last part of the public session. It was a great session! Not at all crowded, about 6-8 people tops the whole time, and the ice had been resurfaced and was pretty nice.

I had a pretty good workout. I spent a goodly amount of time in my spin, and got it to be more consistent. I didn't make much progress on lifting the right foot though. I also spent a lot of time on the RFI3 and improved it somewhat; I'm still coming out of it almost on a flat, but I did manage to get a little bit of edge on it the last few I did. I tried a few LFI3s but I think I have some weird thing going on with my free foot where it gets in my way. I'll have to work it with Anna and see what she can figure out.

No great breakthroughs tonight, but some good solid work on crossovers (front and back), also the LBO Mohawk and FI Mohawks. I really like that LBO Mohawk, it weirds me out but I think I'm so excited at having a back-to-front turn that I want to practice it a lot. I also spent a fair amount of time on my RB glide and edges and I'm making some progress there too. I've been feeling very frustrated about that whole thing, but if there's one thing I should have figured out it's that perseverance is important. My LB glide took a long time to show up and it's still not on a par with the LF or RF glides but it's fairly solid, so I should take from that the knowledge that if I keep working it the RB ones will also come. The emphasis is that I have to keep working on it. Fortunately I'm pretty stubborn.

Speaking of perseverance, I did try some spirals tonight. They are not the hardest move as far as balance or those sorts of things that usually cause me trouble, but they are the most physically demanding move I have so far. I'll be glad when I can get back to yoga in a couple of weeks, I really need it. I also worked on my lunge. My left foot lunge is terrific, so I worked on the right foot one a little. Eeep! I keep catching the edge on the free foot when I put it down. Bad, bad, bad.

There's so much to work on and so little practice time! It's very frustrating. I have two lessons this week (Wednesday, a make-up for last Friday; and the usual Friday slot) and I was hoping to have more progress to show for the interval. Oh well, there is at least some progress anyway. I will skate Wednesday night, Friday at coffee club, Saturday afternoon (the "zoo") and the Sunday morning freestyle session, so there's a lot of skating in my future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home