Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, April 10, 2004

Saturday Zoo


I got to the Saturday public session a bit late due to losing my car keys (still haven't found 'em :-(). It was what I would describe as moderately crowded, not that bad for a Saturday. I worked three areas mostly: spins, back crossovers, and turns.

I spent a good amount of time (probably 20 minutes or more) on spins. I had a couple of really good ones, including one that was nicely centered and probably 5 (count 'em, 5) revolutions! For me that's pretty amazing. I think the thing that made the difference is a bit hard to describe, but it's a certain sort of snap when the left foot comes off the pivot that is just synchronized with bringing the arms in. I was pretty happy with it.

I mostly worked my CCW back crossovers, a.k.a. the weak side. They are getting better but still have a long way to go. The key for now seems to mind Anna's advice not to rush them but just be deliberate. That back foot still is a bit reluctant to do its thing. I did a few forward crossovers, they are slightly improved.

I worked pretty much all my turns. I especially spent some time on the LBO back Mohawk. That still feels a bit scary, but it's more of a "rush" scary almost than an absolute terror scary, if that makes sense. My other turns are about where they were Wednesday -- the LFI3 (I managed two attempts) still scratchy and approximate, the RFI3 still not quite rotated. My LFO3 is turning out quite nicely these days, I usually manage to hold the edge for a while and it's generally pretty good. RFO3 is somewhat inconsistent.

All in all it was not bad for a public session. My new observation for today is that I don't stroke forward enough. A few months ago when that was pretty much all I could do, I did a lot of it. I don't do very much of it and I'm thinking that's not a good thing; I think my forward stroking is a little tentative these days. I'd much rather go backward it seems..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home