Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, April 15, 2004

Changes


I stopped by the rink on my lunch hour, and found it a construction zone. The new management was present with a bunch of workmen busily remaking the lobby. The picture I mentioned earlier was gone :-) and they were busily preparing to paint the lobby. It was a picture of a work in progress.

I went back at 7:30 to see if I could skate, and while it was still a mess, the ice was open and they said I could skate for free -- they didn't have anyone available to take money anyway. I thought that was a nice gesture. They were just finishing a Zamboni break when I walked in. It was a very lightly attended session, perhaps 8 people tops and I was alone for the last 45 minutes or so!

I worked pretty hard on a lot of stuff, but I concentrated mostly on moves, especially crossovers and turns; and also spins. I worked my forward crossovers, but probably not as much as I should have. I find myself lacking in enthusiasm for them... but I need to work through that. I worked most of my turns but no real breakthroughs.

I worked for 15 or 20 minutes on spins and had some pretty good ones. In particular I had another nice one-footed spin for about 1.5 revolutions I think. It was exhilarating! If you really think about it, the idea of spinning at any speed at all on one foot, one blade about .1 inches thick, it's pretty amazing really. I caught myself dropping my right shoulder as Anna had said; so I tried to correct that by thinking not just of lifting my right foot, but my entire right side. That seemed to help a bit.

I also worked a bit on my RB glide, and it seems slightly improved.

All in all it was a good session, especially considering I was a little tired from skating the night before. I have my lesson tomorrow too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home