Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, March 08, 2004

Public Session Hell


I got out of choir rehearsal early today, so I took advantage of the opportunity to go to the Monday night public session. I wanted to get some extra practice in because due to the university's spring break next week, I'm getting my 3/19 lesson this Wednesday night.

Unfortunately I arrived at the rink just as two busloads of high school kids were arriving -- some kind of school trip from out of town. So it was not a very good ice skating experience. In spite of the crowds of screaming girls and insane boys trying to impress the girls, I tried to get some real practice in. I spent some time working on 3-turns (shocking, I know :-)). I actually spent a fair amount of time on the RFI3 and it's improved. I didn't try the LFI3 (what a chicken). I also worked on the RFI Mohawk and tried a couple of LFI Mohawks with no success.

I spent some time on my spin. Some things that seemed to help were to really work on getting my top toepick in the ice to get a better pivot (just as Anna said), and also to work on getting my shoulders back ("long"). I still didn't get any progress on picking up the right foot though.

Finally, I did work on the back crossovers. I need to fight my tendency to lean forward though; it really doesn't help. I think the biggest problem with these is just to get more into them and really feel the edge, the lean, the kneebend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home