Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

PT Wrap-up


It just occurred to me that I never gave a wrap-up on my physical therapy and how it went, and where I am now. I had my last (of 12) PT session the last week in February. The conclusion was that my ankle was much, much improved. As for the shoulder, while I feel less pain and in fewer ways, I still have a bit less range of motion on the left (injured) shoulder compared to the right (uninjured) :-(. The therapist felt that there was not a lot more she could do for me other than that I should continue to do the exercises I've been given. She suggested if I'm still having problems in 4-5 months I should talk to my doctor again.

As for how it feels -- generally my shoulder doesn't bother me at all. The exceptions are when I try to sleep on it (I usually sleep on my left side, which puts the shoulder in a bad position), and when I try to put my left arm straight out and back. Unfortunately, in thinking about some of the feedback I got from Anna last week on my RFI3 and some other things, I suspect that part of the problem is the injury. For example, Anna mentioned that my forward (right) hand is coming up to high and my left is low. I suspect I'm trying to get them equally high but my left doesn't want to go as high, and my right is drifting higher because I'm trying equally hard on both sides. Also it explains some of the problems I have in my positioning for back crossovers also. Now that I'm more aware of this I can, hopefully, compensate for it.

As for the ankle -- it never hurts when I skate. Sometimes when I overdo it a bit (3 hour sessions) it feels a little twingy the next day. Generally speaking I think it's much better and I expect that over time it will stop hurting entirely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home