Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, October 02, 2003

Thursday Night Practice


I don't usually go skating Thursdays, but since I won't be able to go tomorrow for coffee club and I was free I decided it would be worthwhile. When I got to the rink I noticed the session time for Thursday night was covered over, so I asked if there was a public session. The person (Miranda) said there was, but that there probably wouldn't be on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the future as there would be hockey taking the session time. She suggested I might want to call in the future before coming out. Very disturbing! I didn't get on the ice until a little after 8, and only stayed until about 9:15 or so. Still, I got a lot done.

It was not very crowded, probably 10-12 people. I spent a good chunk of the session still working on the backward 1-foot glide. I am making progress, I can feel it. I got a couple of good 4-5 second glides on my left foot. I'm hopeful that I will make a breakthrough on this in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I'd like to have it by the end of October since I'd like to finish all the Basic 3 curriculum.

I also spent some time on the two-foot turn, the LFO 3-turn, and the T-stop. All of them are looking pretty good. Finally, I spent a good amount of time on my right foot glide. It's still got a ways to go to be as good as the left.

If I was ever worried about whether I might get tired of skating, nights like this put my fears to rest. The ice was nice and fresh, and there is something about skating on fresh ice that is... a rush, for lack of a better expression. There's a serenity and peace and yet a thrill in skating on good fresh ice. It gets me every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home