Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, September 25, 2003

3-Turn


I had a 6 p.m. meeting last night so I wasn't able to get to the rink until about 10 minutes before my lesson (instead of my usual 30). After getting my skates on this left me about 3 minutes to warm up... not optimal for me. As our lesson started, Glenn observed that 9/24 was his 49th birthday, so we wished him a happy birthday.

The class seems to now consist just of myself, Ashley and Luz. The other girl, Desiree, seems to have dropped out. Luz seems pretty determined (she has bought her own skates) and Ashley is also reasonably obsessed. So it is turning into a good class. After a little bit of edge work, Glenn went into reviewing the Mohawk we'd learned last week. He worked with me a bit on it, and I think my biggest problem is really just pure fear. I can do a two-foot turn and really a Mohawk is not that horribly different; it's certainly something I am capable of doing. I just need to make up my mind and just do it.

After some time on the Mohawk we went into learning a 3-turn, in this case the LFO. For some reason I was having considerable problems with this as well. It seems mostly that when I'm balancing on one foot I have problems convincing my upper body to move. Or at least if I have time to think about it, I do.

After the lesson I stayed until about 9:20 or so, working on miscellaneous stuff. After a fair amount of repetition I was able to do the LFO 3-turn with some success, except that as soon as I do it I'm in trouble since I still can't do a back edge. I discussed this with Ashley and we both agreed we need to talk to Glenn about this. Glenn did say at one point that he was teaching us this stuff in order to stretch us a bit, but it still seems to me that we need to have a firm back edge before spending more time on turns like this.

The rest of the session was a lot of fun, as between myself, Ashley, and José (who showed up for the public session) we had a lot of good conversation while still working stuff up pretty thoroughly. It's made the class a lot more fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home