Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Mohawk!?


I had my 20th lesson today. For our lesson it was myself and Ashley and Luz; Desiree didn't attend. We looked briefly at forward stroking and edges on a circle, then spent the bulk of our lesson learning a mohawk (open right inside mohawk). I'd been exposed to a mohawk before but only briefly. We looked at it against the boards, and then Glenn helped each of us try one out while he held our hands. I sort of got the hang of it but I don't think I can do one myself.

What I don't understand is why we are learning a mohawk when we can't hold a back edge yet?! It makes no sense to me...

For the rest of the practice time I worked on a variety of things. Since it wasn't too crowded I spent a fair amount of time working on backward swizzles and backward 1/2 swizzle pumps on a line. I also spent a fair amount of time working on the mohawk against the boards and I am starting to get the idea. I spent some time on pushoffs (slightly improved) and my right foot glide. My right foot glide is much improved and is finally starting to come more easily and automatically. It's still light years behind the left, but much improved. I also had a little bit of success on doing a backward 1-foot glide. I managed a couple of times to glide for about 3 seconds on my left back inside edge. It's progress. I also worked briefly on crossovers. I really should spend a good amount of time on them since I know they are key.

There was no Z-break tonight, so I stayed until 9:30 although I did have dinner at the rink snack bar around 8:45 or so.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home