Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

The More The Merrier?


Tonight I had my 19th regular lesson (not counting coffee club lessons). Besides the 3 of us that were there last week (myself, Ashley and Desiree), there was a newcomer, Luz. We spent the first 25 minutes or so reviewing basics again -- swizzles, one foot glide, stroking. He also spent some of that time working on the two-foot turn, which they all picked up a lot faster than I did as far as I can tell. The last 5 minutes were spent working on something I'm actually interested in, forward crossovers. It was kind of a frustrating lesson.

After the lesson I stayed until 9 or so working on the usual stuff, including some extra time on the right foot glide and the forward crossovers. When trying to do the forward crossovers I seem to turn way too much in the process -- almost 45 degrees by the time I finishe one step-over. I'm not sure how I should be doing this. I also spent some time working on my push-off and I think I improved a bit.

I was disappointed that only one of my classmates (Ashley) stayed to practice for any length of time. It's too bad. Ashley seems to be quite interested in skating, though, which is neat to see in another adult.

I'm very frustrated with the lesson situation right now, especially now that there are 4 people in the class. I've pretty much made up my mind that unless things are drastically different I'm going to talk to Glenn next week about a 15 minute private lesson following our group lesson. If we work it right we can do complementary things -- for example, I could work on my backward skating in a private and forward crossovers in group. I don't think the group lessons are likely to go to backward skating in a big way anytime soon, and anyway I will need more time probably than others.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home