Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, September 04, 2003

First Sharpening


I took my skates to The Sharpener today -- his name is Jim. He's highly recommended by the figure skaters at the rink, and after talking with him I can say that he definitely knows his stuff. Anyway, he looked at my blades and measured them. The current ROH on them is somewhat more than 1/2". Generally from looking at them he was greatly disturbed and kept shaking his head, there is some seriously funky stuff going on in regard to the way they were sharpened when I got them.

Based on what I told him about where I'm at, how much I skate, etc., he suggested an ROH of 1/2" would be appropriate. He said that they are good boots for me based on where I'm at and should last me about a year or a bit more, but that when I start doing serious jumping I will need something with more strength and ankle support, especially since I'm a big guy (5-10, 220 lbs). He also said that the right blade (which I've had issues with before) is slightly misaligned at the heel but that it is probably not a big deal, at least for now.

I will be able to pick them up from him tomorrow morning and then be off to coffee club. That should be an adventure in newly-sharpened skates!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home