Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Skating Well


Following up on my comment in my last post about kids (though it's not only kids!) who are obsessed with jumps and spins when they can't even skate well, I ran across an article at Ice Skating Addict on lack of skating skills. It says a lot of the same things. While I am a novice in this sport, I think this actually gives me better insight in some respects than the more experienced. After all, I hear the mantras at every lesson... bend your knees!... puuush!.... chin up!.... and of course my own personal mantra, "straight you back!". So I know very well what I should be doing even though I'm not always able to do it. I know that someone doing a spiral should have the leg hip-height or better and point the toe! I fully expect to spend a lot of time on fundamentals; I want to skate well before I skate dramatically. In the long run, after all, I may not be able to do any jumps, or maybe not even any spins -- but if I learn to skate well that can stay with me for a long time.

Incidentally, I'll remind my readers that they are welcome to email me (link at the right) or comment on a particular post (comment link after each post). Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home