Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Crossovers


For class tonight it was just myself, Ashley and Desiree; Luz was not present. Glenn started by asking us what we wanted to work on and Ashley piped up and said "Crossovers!" (she and I had discussed trying to get back to that). So we spent 10 minutes working on forward crossovers and another 10 minutes working on backward crossovers. Then for the remainder of our time we looked again at T-stops, the open forward inside Mohawk and the two-foot turn.

I was really glad to have the time on crossovers and while I still am not at all comfortable with the backward ones, I am much more comfortable with the forward ones. Mind you I still will need to practice them about a cajillion more times before they are solid, but still I felt like I got over my mental block about them (for the most part) and I can now work on them on my own and expect to make progress.

Due to my injured shoulder working on the turns was problematic, and I pushed it a bit more than I should have so that I had some real pain working on the Mohawk. Nothing damaging, just pain.

After class I stayed 'til 9:15 working on crossovers, right foot glide, and whatever else I felt comfortable doing considering my shoulder and arm situation; after a while I couldn't even hold my left arm up in the usual position. There was no Z-break so by the time I left the ice was really gross. Alas, I spent a lot of time talking to my classmate Ashley and helping her with some of her stuff so I didn't work on my own as much. She learns some things really easily -- she has a good Mohawk already and she worked a lot on forward and backward crossovers, and she can skate in the crossed-over position even (for example, right foot on an RFI on the left and left foot on an LFO on the right). I'm jealous! I would have been more adventurous except with my shoulder the way it was it was difficult to risk falling knowing I couldn't catch myself.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home