Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Progress


I went to the evening session tonight and skated for about 1.5 hours. I worked on the one foot glide for about an hour, and I made some significant progress. I had quite a number of 6-second glides, and a couple of 8-seconds or more -- all of them on my left foot though. For some reason I'm still petrified about the right foot, and I decided to leave it alone until I make more progress on the left (we'll see what Glenn says about that tomorrow though!). I would not say I have it down yet, but it's coming. The biggest differences in what I did tonight seem to be that I'm bending my knee more, and that I'm getting my weight placement back-to-front more centered. If my weight is too far forward I can feel my bottom toepick starting to scrape, which at best will slow me down and worst will make me fall. Too far back and I feel like I'm going to lose my balance. Anyway, I have a better feel for it now, which is good. I think I'll definitely have it in a few more practices.

The other thing that was better tonight, kind of just in passing, is my stroking and speed. I was going a bit faster than I usually do and it was okay. It occurred to me that I look down too much, and that if I look down while stroking I get more freaked about my speed. So, I tried to look at the boards, or higher, and that did seem to help a bit. Good stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home