Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Perimeter XOs, 5-Step Mohawk, Salchow

My lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate.  Very quiet session today, just me, Melissa, and Stephanie.

I spent a little time at the beginning of the session looking at the harness again to see if it's more adjustable than we thought, but no, there is no way this thing is going to fit on me :-( it's just too small.

I warmed up with stroking, the circle-8, and some edges and slaloms.

Today's lesson:


  • perimeter XOs -- forward was not too bad although it still takes me a while to get up the nerve to do a "good" crossover.  We spent some time on the BXO side trying to fix some of the issues I had feedback from on my test.  Mostly this involves getting more speed and slowing down the tempo of the crossover.  We made some good progress I think.
  • 5-step mohawk -- ugh.  We actually did make some progress in me filling out the pattern better, but the mohawk needs to be slower (don't rush the 2nd step, especially) and I need to get down in the knee on the BO edge so I don't drag my toepick.   R side is much stronger than the L side.
  • salchow -- continuing from my work yesterday, we made some good improvements in getting me to more reliably jump at the right time.  The issue now is that I'm two-footing the landing.  Still, it's progress as I have to think I get more credit from a recognizable sal with a 2-foot landing than I do from a spincow.
All in all a good lesson.  I'm psyched.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home