Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Cross Strokes & Toe Loop


Today's lesson was at 7 a.m. as usual. It was a bit colder than usual in the rink (36 degrees F) and I was tired and somewhat out of sorts. Oh well. Not my best lesson.

Today's lesson:
  • Spins -- I showed Sonya my two-foot to one-foot spin, although of course the Reverse Coach Effect meant that I couldn't do it at first (see above about being cold, tired and out of sorts). But I did eventually get some nice spins this way, which made me feel better. As Sonya said, it's harder to do it from the windup but at least I know I can indeed find the sweet spot. Oh well.
  • Waltz-8 -- Just a little time on these. Sonya wanted me to be more careful about setting a good FO edge at the start of each side. These were a bit stinky today (worse than usual), although Sonya did say I'm (usually) doing a better job keeping my free foot close before the step forward. I wasn't too happy with them.
  • Cross strokes -- Sonya wanted to introduce these. Eeep! More of that crossing-the-feet stuff :-(. We worked them against the wall for a bit then a little bit on the ice. I'll have to work these more on my own. Eeep.
  • Toe loop -- we finished up with these. Sonya had me try an exercise where I go through the entry, bring the feet together and do a back pivot (RBO). Eeep! She had me do a bunch of these, then try the toe loop again. I was successful in getting my feet together, not as successful in finishing out the jump correctly. Still, it's progress. Sonya wants me to work that exercise more.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home