Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

More Jumps


Today's lesson was a makeup for last week since I had to cancel due to a last minute work trip. During my warmup I noticed that my BI edges are getting a lot better -- I'm focusing more on holding that shoulder back during the first half of the lobe and it's really helping a lot. I was really pleased. As usual, this session was almost deserted (myself, one of Sonya's other students, and another skater who came about 15 minutes before the end of the session). Good skating!

Today's lesson:
  • LFI3 -- We continue to plug away on these. The good news is that I can pretty reliably do one from a standing start, if I do it immediately. So we are working on holding the entrance edge longer. Some small progress, but we will be at this a while still (*sigh*).
  • Mohawks -- I asked Sonya to look at these since they have gotten sloppy. The LFI mohawk is actually not too bad -- Sonya wants me to bend my knees more in the middle of the turn though. The RFI needs a lot of work still but we were able to clean it up a bit. I just need to remember to make it an actual turn and not just hop onto my back foot!
  • Waltz jump -- just a few of these. My forward edge is getting a little longer, which helps my timing. Sonya worked with me to get a better kneebend on the forward edge, and then to get a better spring/rollup on the toepick. I did a couple that were really nice, so I was happy.
  • Salchow -- we worked these a bit. I can't seem to get the feel for bringing the free leg around/through. We worked them against the boards a bit at the end, and that did help a bit. Sonya scolded me that I need to work this stuff at least a little bit everytime I skate so I don't lose ground. Yes Ma'am!! :-)
After my lesson I talked to Sonya about my boots because I'm hoping to get new ones in a month or two (waiting for employee bonus to arrive!). She said that she'd like to see me in Riedells if I can go with stock boots, but if I need custom boots she'd prefer SP Teris or Harlicks. She said she'd go with me when I'm ready to get fitted and talk with them about my boots. Yea for having a good coach who'll do these things!

I have another lesson on Thursday, my regular one for the week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home