Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Coffee Club Skate


I skated coffee club at my old rink today. My gf was with me so I spent a fair amount of time with her. Did a few half-flips, FXOs, all the usual stuff.

The surprise of the day was that Cecilia was at the session. Cecilia used to coach (she taught me my lunge) for almost 40 years. She said she'd not been on the ice for a couple of years! Late in the session I saw her doing some basic figures and talked to her about them. It's pretty interesting really; she complained they were sloppy, but she still managed to lay down 4-6 traces within about 3 inches of each other in spite of being so rusty. Like many people I've talked to she feels that the elimination of figures resulted in a lot of sloppy skating (I'm paraphrasing, of course). I've always been fascinated by figures but there's so little time to practice all the stuff I work on now -- who knows when I would have time to work on that (if you could even find a coach who knows them!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home