Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Turns


Great conditions for today's lesson -- freshly Z'd ice and no one but me (and my coach)! Yay! Before my lesson I spent some time on the waltz-8 (it's getting better but still some issues on the step forward) and also some good time on back Russian stroking, which I am finally starting to get the hang of at long last.

Today's lesson:
  • LFI3 -- these have improved a lot. I'm able to do the turn and hold the exit, but there's very little control and I'm pretty much doing the turn immediately from a standing start. Sonya worked with me on trying to build more control and hold the entrance edge longer. Still, definitely better.
  • Back two-foot turns -- Sonya wanted to spend just a couple of minutes looking at these. I'd not done these in a long time. We worked on doing them on the hockey circle (both directions). Corrections were to have more flow, to be a little quicker entering the turn and to bend the knees again after the turn.
  • Power-3s -- we reviewed how to enter the pattern for the right foot (we only worked on the right foot, since it's weaker). I had some misconceptions about how the back lobe of the pattern works, but Sonya says it's the same as the back perimeter crossovers. The hardest part right now is the step forward after the back crossover -- not surprising, as it's the same back choctaw that I couldn't do for alternating FO3s!
  • Spins -- we worked hard on getting my upper body to untwist so my R hand isn't behind me. Some progress, and it seems to help.
  • Scratch spin prep review -- I just wanted to verify that I understood these correctly. What I blogged for my last lesson seems to be correct though.
A really good lesson all in all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home