Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

PSS


PSS is Pinky-Swear Skate :-). I did my first PSS (hey, it's at least a change from "Perseverance", right?) this morning at 6 a.m. I got up promptly (groan) at 5:10 a.m. and actually got to the rink with plenty of time to warm up, get my skates on, check in with skate buddy Mary (my PSS partner-in-crime) and get on the ice.

I had a pretty good skate! It was more crowded than I expected (probably 13-14 skaters) but workable. I worked on my FXOs -- mostly the bad (CW) side, trying to regain a feeling I'd had with these before of getting good extension, then bringing the free leg in smoothly while really feeling the flex in the skating ankle. I made some progress. Also worked BXOs and LFI3 (eh! not much going on there) and did a couple of nice waltz jumps.

I worked on the half-flip some. I seem to be able to either jump up, or turn, but not both in the same motion! *sigh*

The big accomplishment for the day came at the very end of the session when I spent some time on spins, working as usual lately on the step forward and entrance into the spin. When I'd worked on these with Sonya last I was always going up on my toepick. Today, however, I was able to keep off the toe. I am not getting quite on the rocker though, so what I wind up doing are these sort of loopy kind of things where you can see the entrance edge, 3-turn and a big oval that does actually cross the print, and out. I think that is progress of a sort!

Anyway, this first PSS was a big success and I think we'll keep at it. I felt really good about it although I'm sure I'll be very tired later since I had like 5 hours of sleep *sigh*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home