Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Leaving Tucson


I've been telling people at the rink for a few days, but didn't want to say anything until I'd given notice at work... I will be leaving Tucson in mid-January. I've accepted a job at Intel in Portland, Oregon (Hillsboro actually). The good news (skating wise) is that there are two rinks relatively near where I'll be, and they both have morning freestyle time. The bad news is that they both are only single sheets of ice, and skating on public ice there will be a challenge other than Sat/Sun afternoon "zoo".

I am really going to miss the Tucson rink though. As a facility I think it's better than the ones I'll be going to (although there's not enough ice available). But mostly it's going to be hard to leave behind the wonderful folks I've come to know so well, both young and old alike. Worst of all will be leaving behind my wonderful coach, Anna. Most of my readers know the immense regard I have for her, and how grateful I am for all I've learned from her. I feel like we've made such great progress, especially in the last few months, even with scheduling problems and the rink closing etc. While I am sure I'll find a new and wonderful coach, I also think it will be very hard to find a coach as talented, dedicated, and just-right-for-me as Anna. Together we've built a really solid foundation for my skating, one that I'm confident I can build on. I just had especially hoped I could take my first tests with her, and have her choreograph my first program.... but it looks like it's not meant to be. *sigh*

Tentatively my last lesson will be 1/9 or 1/11, and my last time skating will probably be coffee club 1/11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home