Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Shaking Out The Cobwebs


I didn't manage to get away to skate at adult session, so I escaped to the 5 p.m. freestyle. I had a good skate, and worked on pretty much everything in my repertoire (except spirals, I think). Astute readers will have noticed that I've not had much icetime in the past couple of months, and wow am I feeling it! It's been a long week, too, which didn't help -- by the end of the hour I was pretty wiped out.

I did my 10 waltz jumps; they are about the same but they feel a bit more secure, at least, so that's good. I worked on my spins but couldn't get back to where I was during my lesson Monday. I did almost manage a spin from the forward entrance, but it was not at all centered and calling it a spin would probably be overly generous.

Since it was a pretty deserted session I spent some time on Russian stroking, especially since I was watching Bri do hers and I was inspired -- she was working on them in her lesson and her coach was telling her "extend! extend" and I realized I've not thought about that. Strangely enough working to have good extension and hold the long inside edge makes them a little less scary and more solid... so I was pleased. Did some 5-step Mohawk and power-3s, not much to say there. Worked on waltz-8 and alt-3s. My FI3s are a little better, including (amazingly enough) the LFI3. I did several that were pretty solid, which was nice since it's been my nemesis. I think I have just relaxed about them enough to not think of them as anything really different than the other side. I also spent some time just on stroking and forward and backward XOs, and of course did some edges.

All in all, a good skate. Not very crowded either, which was nice. I noticed in passing that they are almost done with the front ice, and that apparently they'll be having their first public session tomorrow afternoon. Very exciting! Unfortunately this weekend I have a football game and a concert, so no public sessions for me :-(. Also, Anna was there when I arrived and we discussed possibly moving my lesson to the new Tuesday 4:45 freestyle. She said she'd let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home