Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Waltz-8, Spins, Waltz Jump


Today's lesson:
  • Waltz-8 -- we spent probably 15 minutes on these. Some of the corrections are to keep a bent knee on the BO edge, remember to rotate skinny (especially on the LFO waltz-8), and most importantly to keep the upper body/hips quiet on the step forward. Anna said that I need to be calm about these -- I think that's the word she used. They were a lot better though.
  • Spins -- just a brief checkup on the two-foot and one-foot spin. Anna reminded me I need to spot something at eye level on the exit, not look down at the ice. We also checked that I am getting 3 revs on the two-foot spin (which I'll need for the test).
  • Spin entrance -- we spent quite a bit of time on these; really, I am so close to getting this! The entrance is really pretty good, I need a better push on the step forward and then really I think I just need to relax and remember to keep that free leg back. Anna pushed me into a spin a couple of times from a standing start to show me how it feels. I need to work these a lot more and, I suspect, have a couple of good falls or something to break through.
  • Waltz jump -- we looked at these from the entrance. Anna says I need to work on the collect and step forward (and a bit on the back edge before) to be more deliberate -- need to hold the positions just a little bit. I also need to get a better(higher) jump. Still, I did do some nice jumps today -- some with some actual spring and lift to them. It was very exciting!
For Thursday Anna wants to look at crossovers (of course) and jumps.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home