Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Big Picture


I was thinking about the last year or so that I've been taking private lessons, and how wonderful my coach is, and all that stuff. It's probably because Saturday will be my second Skativersary. Anyway, I was thinking about all the stuff I've learned and how much time I've spent on some things and what things I have and haven't learned...

My question is, does my coach have a Plan for me? I don't mean "does she know what she is doing?" -- believe me, there is no doubt in my mind that she does. What I mean is, does she have an explicit plan for where I'm going, or is it sort of just something that is not at a conscious, planned level?

I ask this because, of course, I plan everything. I'm big on planning. I also ask it because I'm starting to notice some payoff to some of the hard work that I've put in in the last year and a half (almost). That is, I'm starting to see some... synchronicity. Some of the skills that I've spent so incredibly much time on are helping with other things. Here's one -- I suddenly realized that I can (more or less) do forward cross rolls. I've never been taught them as such -- I've seen other folks do them. But with all the practicing of forward edges and crossovers and other skills, I tried some the other day and gosh, I can pretty much do them. Of course if Anna were to look at them, I am sure there would be plenty of room for improvement; but I'm still amazed.

My gut feeling is that Anna, and perhaps other coaches, doesn't work on that explicit, incredibly detailed planning level; that it's so internalized that she could tell you the reasoning behind the decisions she makes, but she'd have to think about it for a bit. Another case in point -- working on BI3 prep. Why now? She said, "It's time." How does she know? I suspect she "just knows." For us anal-retentive engineer types, that kind of thing can drive you bonkers. Fortunately I respect and trust her so much, I'm willing to just do what I'm told. And let me tell you, that is not normally my behavior at all! I just know that she knows what she is doing and that she's got her job to do and I've got mine; and mine is to work hard and do what she tells me to. I think that's why we get along so well and why I enjoy my lessons so much. It's probably the only area of my life where I entrust myself to someone so wholeheartedly and without reserve. It's refreshing.

A good coach is worth her weight in gold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home