Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Moves & BXRs


Today's lesson:
  • spins -- we started by discussing what I'd worked on with Caryn Kadavy yesterday and how that all went. Then we worked on the 1-foot and backspin. The 1-foot spin I'm still not really consistent on. I'm not sure how much one can expect from a pivot, still, but I still have problems with getting firmly over my skating and lifting. The backspin -- wow. This is actually improving (which surprises me). I got a couple that were really quite good for me, about 2 revs and weight nicely placed. YAY!
  • BO edges -- we worked on eliminating my double-push, with some success. Anna's decided she's not going to worry about me rotating wide on these because it's not having a bad effect, they are relatively decent. She reminded me to extend the free leg coming back to the line (and Point the Toe!), and of course to be looking up the line, not at the ice. I was relatively happy with these.
  • BI edges -- mostly worked on picking the free foot up in front. When I remember to draw the free foot in before picking it up these work so much better! All in all not too bad.
  • BXRs -- back crossrolls. I'd never done these but Anna wanted to introduce me to them. We tried them with her holding my hands (a rarity). It will be a while before I can do these by myself, I think. I need to practice my back slalom more first. Still, it was quite exciting since I've seen so many people practicing/testing these.
Our lesson was slightly abbreviated since Anna had an 8 a.m. exam at school. Since we have another lesson tomorrow (!) it's not a biggie to make it up then.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home