Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, May 02, 2005

Waltz-8 & 5-Step


Today's lesson:
  • Waltz-8 -- we spent about half the lesson (or more!) on this. It's actually coming along. We spent most of our effort on the step forward; although this (BO Mohawk) is supposedly the easier of steps forward, for me for some reason it is difficult. We worked on keeping a good posture and not stepping wide. In some ways it's the same problem manifested in another place -- turning the head and keeping the shoulder from creeping up. These seem to be causing me problems in lots of different places. I guess the positive side is I have lots of different areas to approach fixing them from!
  • 5-step Mohawk -- we came to these in part to work on the same issues as the Waltz-8. They are definitely improving. Anna says that part of my timing issue is I'm holding the BI edge (step 2) too long; so it's not that the BO edge is too long (which is what I thought), it's that I'm starting it late. These are definitely improving though. To give me perspective, these are on the adult bronze test, standard track is pre-juv. So I shouldn't be surprised they are not easy; and actually I'm pleased with my progress on them.
All in all I was really pleased with this lesson. I was expecting to work on the waltz jump, but wasn't really in the mood; so this was a pleasant surprise.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home