Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, November 10, 2003

Sunday Zoo


I went to the public session yesterday afternoon. As I anticipated it was quite crowded, but I still enjoyed myself. I spent most of my time working on forward crossovers (CCW only), backward skating and 3-turns. The crossovers are beginning to improve. I noticed that part of the problem was that I was putting my crossing foot too far forward and sort of stepping into/onto it. So I concentrated on bending my knees more, and bringing the crossing foot further back (closer to me) so that it's only a little bit forward. I also tried to be more deliberate, and that seemed to help too. They are still clunky and inconsistent but they are improving.

My 3-turns are coming along. I've noticed that if I really concentrate on bending my knee coming into them I can generally pull off a really nice turn. The tracing is becoming almost symmetrical, even. The remaining problem is that I still have to put my other foot down almost immediately afterward. I suspect that I need to keep my free foot closer to the skating foot during the turn, and, of course, improve my LBI edge.

I spent a little time on the lunge as well, doing them along the barrier. My first try away from the barrier was, of course, a failure, but I managed to get a good one in. The good part was just the downward part, though, I wasn't going fast enough into it to try to rise again while moving. Still I was very impressed and happy.

I also spent a little time on the 2-foot spin, but I seem to have trouble remembering/figuring out how to start. Allison taught us to start with the left foot on the toepick (for a CCW spin) but I'm a little unclear on exactly what I was supposed to do with my right foot. I guess I'll ask for review on Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home