Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, November 01, 2003

3-Turns Revisited


I went to the public session today, although I wasn't able to arrive until after 2 (it's 1-4). It was the usual Saturday zoo. I spent most of my time working on edges, 3-turns, and crossovers. The crossovers are (very) slowly improving. The edges are not. Well, I'm mostly working on my RFO and if it's improving, it's too slow to tell.

The good news was that I made some real progress on my LFO 3-turn. In particular, I was able to finally absorb something Glenn had said in a previous lesson -- not to force the turn. So I was able to get into a rhythm on it where I wasn't trying to force it, and voila!, a nice 3-turn where I got a recognizable LBI edge on the other side that I was able to hold, albeit briefly. Until today the tracing for my 3-turns was nice coming in but basically straight coming out; now it's more symmetrical. Of course there's still room for improvement :-) but it's much better. I'm very happy with that.

With the realization that the turn and check for the 3-turn is really very similar to that for the 2-foot turn, I spent some time working on my CW 2-foot turn. I had some improvement in it but it's still rough. I didn't actually try to do an RFO 3-turn today, though; I'll try to get the CW 2-foot turn down first. Turning CW just feels so... unnatural! I really admire those people who are ambidextrous this way.

Anyway, it was a good skate and a fun afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home