Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, November 03, 2003

Stolen Time


We got out of choir practice early, so I made a beeline for the rink and was able to get in almost an hour's worth of skating. Apparently the rink has an (unadvertised) last hour rate of $5.50 (vs. $7 for the full session).

It wasn't too crowded, and the ice was in okay shape. I spent most of my time working the same things, crossovers and 3-turns and LBI edge. The 3-turns are a little better than on Saturday -- still very inconsistent. I need to relax (as usual). When I'm relaxed I can turn out a pretty nice one. When I'm not I force it and it's bad. I worked on my 2-foot turns too and noticed that I have tended to not bend my knees enough. When I remember to do so they are much smoother (fancy that :-)!). The thing about the down-up-down is that I really only have to remember the "down"; the "up" takes care of itself. Of course I still have to work on the trailing "down"...

The crossovers are going to take a long time, I suspect. I really need to get down in my knees more for them, and just do about a zillion of them. My backward glide (mostly LBI) is coming along well; I had a couple of really nice long ones. It actually feels like the limiting factor right now is that I need to keep my left hand extended in front to balance on them, and I can't do that for all that long still (although my shoulder is much, much better than last week). But I had a couple of them that had that delicious sort of feeling I remember from when I was working on my forward one-foot glide. As always my main difficulty backward seems to be a tendency to rise up in the toe (weight too far forward) instead of just allowing myself to be in my boot! It's getting better though.

I was struck by how much I am held back (even now) by my own chicken-heartedness. I have not fallen, really, since I hurt my shoulder over 4 weeks ago! So it's obvious I'm holding back. I've not really even touched Mohawks in that long, for example. Next week or so I really need to commit to working on some of that difficult stuff and allow a fall to happen if it's going to (which I am sure it will). I really need to LEAN more on my edges, and get down in my knees. Grrr.

I worked up a good sweat just in the hour or so I was there. I am really wishing it were summer again, or at least that the hockey season were over. I could be skating 4 or 5 times a week if it were, and I would be Mr. Buff Gordon Sk8er Boi in no time... Really! Not to mention a much better skater...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home