Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Interviewing a Coach


I've been thinking about what questions I need to ask and what the discussion with a prospective coach needs to look like. First off, before we do anything, I plan to tell her (they're all female) what my goals/objectives are:

  • Philosophy -- I want to skate well, with good technique and form. I'd rather spend time working on basics than learning the move-of-the-week.
  • Goal -- to test MITF and freestyle
  • Dream -- to skate a program including landing an Axel.

Having said that, per a suggestion from a reader, spend 25 minutes or so working on a couple of problem areas for me and see how we do -- I'm thinking at this point the areas to work on are the ones I'm spending time on now -- forward crossovers, backward 1-foot glide, and 3-turn.

Following that, spend 5 minutes or less talking through some things:

  • What is your coaching/skating background?
  • How do you feel about coaching adults?
  • How does coaching adults differ (if it does) from kids, for you?
  • What's your availability during the week?
  • What are your rates?


I think that should be more than enough info. Comments/suggestions? Leave 'em in the comment box or email me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home