Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Basic 1


The Figure Skater's Website lists the Basic Eights from the US Figure Skating Association. The elements for Basic 1 are:
  • Sit on ice and stand up
  • March forward across the ice
  • Forward 2-foot glide
  • Dip
  • Forward swizzles (6-8 in a row)
  • Backward wiggles (6-8 in a row)
  • Snowplow stop
  • Rocking horse (2-3)
  • 2-foot hop in place (optional)
I have been at least introduced to all of them except the Rocking horse and the 2-foot hop in place. I'm certainly only proficient at the first 5 though (and I've not done 6-8 swizzles in a row except for my session on 5/19). I'm rather curious about the rocking horse, I'll have to look it up.

Update: Apparently a rocking horse is a combination of a forward swizzle followed by a backward swizzle. I can see how it would get that name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home