Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Backwards...

My lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate.  I just had about 10 minutes to warm up.  4 skaters, nice ice as usual.

Today's lesson:

  • stroking -- just a lap.  I'm a bit faster.
  • F slalom -- just half a lap. Okay.
  • BXOs -- I told Holly we needed to get me working on skating backwards since I've been... reluctant to do so.  So we started with BXOs, working to de-scrape them.  I tend to lean out of the circle when I get going fast (a fear thing, I assume) which makes it harder.  Holly made me cross and hold, which did definitely help (and was kinda scary). I need to work this more.  There was some definite improvement though.
  • BI edges -- we did an exercise of just skating shallow alternating BI edges down the line.  This actually was not too bad.
  • B flat -- (always wanted an excuse to type that :-) ) Same setup as above but just holding a backward flat.  Ugh!  Left foot was okay but right foot, could not hold a straight line.  We worked it for a bit and it got better, but I'm still getting way up on my toe and couldn't make myself set back on it.  Urph.
  • LFO3 -- we had just a few minutes left so we worked on 3s, just the LFO3 as it turned out.  With Holly holding my hand I can do a really nice 3 with the free leg close... without, though, I revert to my usual problem with my free leg popping out after the turn, and not really coming "down" in the knee after the turn.  So at least I know it's possible for me to fix.
All in all a really good lesson and I feel I'm making good progress.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home