Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

3-Turn Pattern


Today's lesson:
  • Back edges -- we started off with this since I wasn't very warmed up, and I had some issues with them. For the BI edges, especially, we worked more on the first push-off; it's improving. The key seems to be to bend my knees a lot more than I think :-). Sonya also reminded me to bend my knee coming back to the line so I can get a better push on the subsequent lobes. These didn't feel as flowing to me as they have in the past.
  • 3-Turn Pattern -- the bulk of our time. While they have a long way to go, I'm really quite pleased at this point that I can at least do them, even the bad side. Just a few weeks ago I might have despaired of ever doing the LFI3 side, so there is some progress here. On the RFI3-LFO3 side, placement of the 3s is okay but I need to work on holding the LBI edge rather longer. On the LFI3-RFO3 side the LFI3 is much too early (but like I said, I was just pleased to do it at all!). On both sides we also worked on the back lobe; there is a weight shift there that I don't think I fully understood before, but now that I do it makes the BXO a lot easier and the rhythm is much better. It needs a lot more practice though.
  • Spins -- just a few minutes on these to finish up. Still trying to hold that free leg back longer and get all the pieces together. Currently it looks like I can bring it all in for a rev or so and then I chicken out and open up out of the spin. Grrr. I'll have to go back to the two-foot for a bit I think and work that to get the feeling.
I felt pretty good about today's lesson even though I didn't skate yesterday (I was ill) or Tuesday. I have a lot to work on. After my lesson (it was at 8:15 instead of 8:45 as usual), I spent the rest of the session working BXOs, FXOs, and some miscellaneous stuff.

In about a month the rink is going to start its "Rush for Regionals" program, which is a summer thing they do where they have basically an ongoing camp for 10 weeks or so every morning. This means the freestyle schedule will be a little curtailed and more than likely I'll have to skate earlier if I want to have non-zoo conditions. *sigh* Of course my test is right in the middle of all this. I may try for some time over at Valley just to get a little more sleep in.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home