Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, May 14, 2007

XOs & Spins


Today's lesson:
  • FXOs -- in the Moves pattern. We worked a lot on the clockwise (bad side) crossovers and holding the crossed position. It's so hard! We made some good progress though. Sonya reminded me to try to get good extension from the very first push into the crossovers so that I will get started looking correct and then I'll remember the whole time. She said the CCW XOs are looking passable, so we just need to get CW fixed. Phew!
  • BXOs -- Sonya had me take a deliberate pause between each XO; after the step into the circle, just hold for a second. This really helped me slow my tempo down and be more deliberate, and the result was a lot better XOs. As Sonya said, I was doing a bazillion crossovers and I only need 4 for the test, and she'd rather see 4 good ones that a bazillion bad ones!
  • Spins -- per my request, we finished up with these. I had a couple that were almost placed correctly, but I'm still having a great deal of difficulty finding the sweet spot.
This was my makeup lesson for last week. For Thursday Sonya wants to look at the 3-turn pattern (what a surprise :-)) and spins again.

After my lesson Sonya and I had a talk about motivation and relaxation. I've often thought that my biggest problem in skating is being able to just relax and let go; so often my brain gets in the way and I hold back even from things I can do well. She suggested I try some visualization, and also just work on getting more comfortable with the things I'm doing. She also gave me a good (and welcome) pep talk about not comparing myself to others, just to where I am and where I've been. It was a good reminder not to take the progress I've already made so lightly.

Before my lesson we also talked briefly about testing dates and I think we agreed on 8/12. I'll have to confirm with her when we get closer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home