Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Spins, Edges, Turns

Today was not the best day to have a lesson; I had a noon meeting so I wound up not even getting to the rink until after 1 p.m. The last half of my lesson was on the public ice... yech!

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- a two-foot, 1-foot, and backspin. Anna harangued me about looking up during spins, after which I proceeded to do the best backspin ever (2 revs, I think).
  • spin entrance -- I'm still amazingly, tantalizingly close on this. At one point Anna held my hand, I pushed onto an LFO edge, and she whipped me into a spin so I'd know what it feels like. Despite that I still couldn't quite get it. It's getting closer. I feel like I never get any quality practice time lately, but I really need to get some time in on these spins. I feel like if I had a good practice session where I actually felt "on" I could probably get it.
  • edges -- we ran through all of them briefly. On the BO edges Anna said I need to work to get a better "draw" through, still. On the BI edges, I need to keep my feet closer together when stepping to the new foot. The FO and FI edges were okay.
  • alt-3s -- just a little time on these (FO3s only). Anna told me to trying making bigger circles, which seemed to help a little. It's really the LBI edge; when I come out of the LFO3 I can't seem to get an open hip position, but I can on the RBI from the RFO3. Anna had me work on really trying to pull the free leg/hip/arm back after the turn, and that did help a bit. Anna told me I need to do the step forward every time I practice these, even if it's out to the side. I guess I need to get over thinking that I have to do the right step forward or not at all. Grr!
Not my best lesson, mostly because I was distracted and somewhat out of sorts. Oh well!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home