Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Basics & Small Jumps


Today's lesson, in a somewhat foggy rink:
  • perimeter stroking -- we'd not looked at this in quite a long time. Extension was much better (but still room for improvement, of course). Anna said the tempo was good but I need to be a little quicker; we worked on the placement of the end crossovers. Due to some traffic I had trouble doing the CW pattern, but I managed to do the CCW pattern once through correctly, which made me really happy.
  • FXOs -- just once through them. Anna was sufficiently pleased that we got to move on without doing them again or any comments (yea!). Of course, that doesn't mean they were perfect but they were definitely improved -- the best I've done so far.
  • BXOs -- still working to get more leading with the inside hip on the CCW ones. CW not too bad, but Anna wants more weight on the inside foot still.
  • Russian stroking -- these have improved as well. Anna says I need to work on bringing the crossing foot through closer to the skating foot (not so wide). This was the first time I'd felt a real sense of flow doing them, so that was good.
  • quick change -- Anna wanted to show me this -- it's not a Moves pattern, it's just a pattern she wants me to work on to improve my edges. Basically it's Russian stroking but with different timing. The timing is slow-slow-quick; so in this case it's FO (slow), XO to FI (slow), FI (quick), repeat. So Russian stroking but really holding the first two edges much longer than for the usual pattern. Also Anna said that for this she wants the beginning and end of the lobe much more vertical toward/away from the wall. It's a bit tricky. I did a couple of okay ones in isolation but doing them in succession is hard.
  • bunny hop -- Anna wanted to revisit "small jumps" so we started with these. I really dislike them! Nevertheless, I did my 3 in a row so Anna was satisfied. Later in the lesson, though, she wanted me to do them on the other foot -- eeep! Not so good. Usually I've done them jumping from the left foot, but jumping from the right foot... yikes. Needs work.
  • mazurka -- revisiting these for the first time in a long, long time. I can still do them. Anna had to remind me to look up, once, doing them right to left. Left to right was easier.
  • double bunny hop -- we had done these a while back to help me prep for the waltz jump, but hadn't done them in a while. Just jumping/landing on the left foot. These seem pretty dorky and uncomfortable.
  • RFI3 - hop -- we just started looking at this when the Zamboni break hit and we had to leave. I'm not sure what this really is called, but basically Anna wanted me to do an RFI3 and then jump to the L toepick like a bunny hop. We worked it a little against the boards and then we were out of time.
Anna is out of town so our next lesson won't be for almost two weeks. Eeep!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home