Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Back To The Zoo


Today I went to the Saturday afternoon public session, or as I call it, the Zoo. I'd been there many times while I was off the ice, to hang out with my little (and not-so-little) buddies, but this was the first time skating since the accident (8 weeks ago).

Surprisingly, perhaps, that didn't particularly bother me. One reason might be that the EZ-Skaters seem to have been banned from the rink. I don't think my accident is the reason, but certainly I've not spotted any in quite a while. That's a good thing.

Anyway, I skated for about two hours. Nothing fancy, but I did get up my nerve to try some things out of my repertoire -- CCW forward crossovers, a left-foot lunge, and a T-stop. No turns still. No problems, no falls. I worked on spins a bit with some slight success, although inconsistent. Since the ice monitors seem to be doing a better job of keeping the center clear I also worked a bit on back edges in the center ice. I have a really hard time with these; can't seem to stop the rotation from setting in, nor to hold the free foot in front at the beginning.

All in all it was a good skate. I'm still quite slow, but it's getting a little better. I'm thinking for my lessons next week I'll probably try to work on turns, spins, forward crossovers, and keep working these back edges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home