Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, June 05, 2003

Adult 1 vs. Basic 1?



Okay, now I'm confused. I blogged about the USFSA Basic Eights curriculum a while back. As far as I can see that is what I'm being taught by. In looking around the Figure Skater's Website, though, I came across the Basic Adult curriculum. This curriculum is only 4 steps long instead of 8. The Adult 1 curriculum is:

  • Falling and recovery
  • Forward strides and glides
  • Forward swizzles (4-6 in a row)
  • Backward skating
  • Backward swizzles (4-6 in a row)
  • Forward one-foot glides (one times the skater's height, R&L)
  • Two-foot turns in place
  • Snowplow stops (R or L)
  • Forward curves on 2 feet
  • Forward 1/2 swizzle pumps on a circle (CW & CCW)
  • Forward chassé on a circle (both directions)


If I were going by this curriculum, I have a lot to do since I'd only have 3 lessons to get the forward one-foot glide, the backward skating, the backward swizzles, the forward 1/2 swizzle pumps and the forward chassé. I at least know what all of these things are, except the forward chassé. I'll have to look this one up.

There are some things in the Basic 1 I've learned that are not part of Adult 1 (rocking horse and backward wiggle). They are not bad things to know, since to do the rocking horse I have to do a backward swizzle which I had to learn anyway. I'm just a bit confused about the whole thing. I suppose the answer would probably be that I should just learn what I want/need to learn anyway. If I were truly able to learn at the Basic Adult curriculum pace I'd be done with the basics in only 8 months instead of 16, which is obviously quite a big difference. I'll have to ask around about this and look some more at the Gateway website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home