Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, February 02, 2004

Sunday Night Bonus Time


I had an opportunity to skate tonight at the public session, something I don't usually have time for. It was lightly attended and generally good skating.

I spent a lot of time on the FO3s and RFI Mohawk. I got the RFO3 back, and both it and the LFO3 are looking fairly good (for me). One thing that seems to help the RFO3 in particular is to think about "completing the circle". That is, when doing the turn by skating a semicircle it seems to help to think that you need to rotate enough to finish off the circle, i.e. that the back edge is part of the same circle the forward edge was. Sounds simple, I know, but it seems to help. Also, I am finally getting a pretty nice check on the LFO3. The RFO3 is still pretty scrapey but it's coming along. The Mohawk is improving too, I'm getting a reasonable rotation and finally starting to get a feel of it just being a step. I tried a few LFI Mohawks but I couldn't get the rotation started so I left it alone for now.

I spent a fair amount of time continuing to work on my homework, the hockey stop and the backward edges. It's become clear that my LB edges are starting to come along, but my RB are definitely a problem. Just getting on an RB edge at all is quite difficult for me. It's discouraging.

All in all I skated for a bit over 2 hours tonight. It was a good skate. I'd thought perhaps I could make this session a replacement for Wednesday (had other things I wanted to accomplish Wednesday evening), but I'm getting my blades sharpened tomorrow so I will definitely have to skate Wednesday night if I hope to have a productive lesson Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home