Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, August 09, 2003

Public Session Progress


I was sick Friday (wound up sleeping until 5 p.m.!) so I didn't attend Coffee Club as I'd hoped. To make up for it I attended the afternoon public session today. There were a fair number of people there (mostly kids) but it was still skateable.

I worked mostly on my 1-foot glide, my turn, and a little bit on the grapevine Glenn showed me on Wednesday. My glide is coming along very well! On my left foot I can pretty much glide for as long as my speed and/or strength holds out. On my right foot... well, that side needs more work. I did work it some, but I was so pleased with my left foot progress I mostly worked on that. My turn is coming along, I spent 15 or 20 minutes working on it and had some really good ones, including a couple where I actually had a little speed coming out of the turn. I need to work next on going into them with more speed and seeing how that goes. My biggest single problem with them seems to be a bit of hesitancy at times. One needs to not hesitate at all for these! "Just do it." As for the grapevine -- well, I wouldn't say that I am doing one. What I am managing to do is basically a swizzle where I bring my feet together between strokes with one foot almost in front of the other -- basically touching heel to toe but not quite in front. Since it's the first time I've tried 'em I think that's pretty good. I'll have to keep working on it of course.

All in all I was there for about 2 hours (1 hr 45 minutes of skating time counting the Z-break).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home