Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Skating On Thin Ice


I was back on the ice today for the first time since 9/8, at our freestyle session at the TCC. It was a bit odd to be at TCC in the big arena skating. The session was pretty crowded (I think I counted 16 or 18 people), but we did a good job of keeping out of each other's way. It was really good to see everyone out and skating again.

I was very concerned how I'd do after so long off the ice; while it wasn't really that long it seemed like forever! However, after a few minutes I was feeling okay. I did my 10 waltz jumps (5 from standstill, 5 from crossovers) -- form was okay but I'm getting very little actual *jump*. Grrr! Besides that I worked briefly on practically everything, although I neglected crossovers badly. 3s were better than I remembered, and my power 3s are a little improved. I had one small fall, on the exit from a waltz jump; I don't think I had ever fallen from a waltz jump before. It wasn't a bad fall.

The ice was very, very thin (thus the title of this post) -- we managed to break down to bare concrete in a couple of places where the ice seemed exceptionally thin (about .5 inch, or maybe less!). It looks like they had just gotten the ice up, so I expect it will be better (thicker) later in the week. As it was, I think we all were very grateful just to have ice. Apparently, though, the ice will only be for this week, after which we will have to wait for the rink to re-open.

Many thanks to the Tucson Figure Skating Club leadership for arranging for this ice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home