Back Edges, BXOs, Half Flip, LFI3, Spins
Today's lesson was at 6:30 a.m... driving to the rink in the dark and fog was not fun, and I was really tired (up late) which didn't help. I had a pretty good skate and a good lesson though.
- Back edges -- I was working on these when Sonya came on the ice, so by the usual coachly wisdom we worked on them for a couple minutes. I still need to work on getting the free foot in front and holding that position for a bit before rotating; Sonya also reminded me I need to keep the free shoulder down (i.e. keep the shoulders even) and to remember to look where I'm going, especially coming back to the line.
- BXOs -- I asked to look at these since we didn't get to them last week; we did them in the Moves pattern. I assume I'm making sufficient progress that Sonya could start telling me that I need to roll the ankle on the underpush. These are slowly coming along, but I got a little freaked out by cross traffic (ice dancer and a couple of people on program). Still, there were some occasional ones that were actually "just right." So I just need to spend more time on these.
- Half Flip -- just a little time on these. It would appear I'm doing them right, I just need to work on getting more actual jump. Sonya says I have enough knee-bend that I ought to be able to get some air out of it if I just, well, do it.
- LFI3 -- I'm so dumb! I didn't really want to work on these with Sonya until I had had a chance to work them on my own some more, but I couldn't resist telling Sonya about my Jedi mind trick -- so of course she insisted on seeing them. She was pleased with my progress, but reminded me that I need to turn into the circle more. I also need to develop some semblance of a check :-).
- Spins -- We finished off with just a brief look at these. They still aren't there. Sonya had me work a little on getting a better knee-bend on the step forward, and trying to keep the free hip and leg held back longer (how many zillions of times did Anna tell me that?!).